Neurocranial Restructuring with Dr. Hillary Lampers
Upcoming 2018 Schedule
NCR 4 day SESSIONS with dr. hillary Lampers:
December 18-21 Snohomish (Full)
January 8-11 Snohomish
January 22-25 Snohomish
February 13-16 Snohomish (Tues-Friday)
Appointments are VERY limited per session! Schedule soon!
NeuroCranial Restructuring ® (NCR) is a profound and unique cranial technique, which facilitates the cranium, skeletal, muscular, and neurological systems to align, eliminating pain and restoring function and mobility to the body.
NCR was developed in the early 90s as a progressed and personally specific form of Bilateral Nasal Specific (BNS), a therapy used since the 1930's to treat a number of conditions including chronic sinusitis and headaches.
Through specialized massage techniques, precise proprioceptive testing, and specified cranial adjustments, NCR is more effective and much less traumatic than BNS.
The Four-Day NCR Session
NCR treatment is 4 consecutive days, or a session. This is to optimize movement of the skull and train the nervous system, creating lasting and permanent results.
The treatments begin with specialized external cranial assessment, manual therapy, then assessment and proprioceptive testing.
The last part of the treatment, a small balloon is inserted in the nasal cavity to push against the sphenoid, lasting only seconds and without the use of harmful anesthetic and the downtime of recovery!
By releasing dysfunctional cranial patterns caused by birth traumas, head/body injuries, emotional traumas, or mental stressors, patients understand what is means to have a true sense of well being in all aspects of their lives.
By optimizing structure, function is restored, and better health is experienced!
NeuroCranial Restructuring focuses on assessment and treatment of the cause- not just alleviating the symptoms of structural misalignment.
Benefits include: elimination of headaches, head/neck/back pain, a wider more symmetrical face that allows for better breathing and decreased sinus congestion and infections, septum deviation straightening without surgery, increased range of motion in the neck and back, improved posture, less wrinkles, improved mood and better sleep - truly the list goes on and on.
Watch Dr. Lampers 2009 most viewed NCR orientation video above.
Dr. Hillary Lampers is a leader in NeuroCranial Restructuring Therapy. She was Dr. Dean Howell's (founder) first assistant, and since 1997 when NCR relieved her life long headaches, Dr. Lampers has been learning, educating, and treating patients about the profound effects of NCR. You can see more of her experience here.
The Anatomy of Injury
Within the skull, there is a large winged bone, called the sphenoid. It touches every bone of the skull with the exception of the mandible and the nasal bones, and it carries on its very center, or sella turcica, the pituitary gland. In cranial therapy, we consider the sphenoid to be the 1st vertebrae, relating to its placement above the atlas. The sphenoid bone slowly moves throughout life, helping to pump cerebral spinal fluid around the brain and up and down the spinal cord. Also holding the pituitary, its placement becomes important for many hormonal and metabolic systems.
Within the skull there are layers of connective tissue known as the meninges. The meninges move down the spinal cord as its protective covering, and then covering the nerves as they exit the spinal cord, and terminate as fascia/connective tissue throughout the rest of the body. The sphenoid, meninges, and cerebral spinal fluid all work together to create roundness of the skull, symmetry of the face, lubrication of the brain with healthy amounts of neurotransmitters, and postural patterns throughout the body.
Now lets adds an injury of some sort, whether it be forceps during delivery, hitting your head on the windshield, breaking your nose during a football game, or experiencing emotional grief. Any kind of trauma will change the position of the sphenoid bone, and thus all the other bones of the head and face will have to change is some way. The sphenoid will not be able to move freely in the same way, and in turn the meningeal system will become compromised. The meninges will become "tight" and thus can create tension all the way down into the feet, since the connective tissue in your feet is related to the meninges in your skull. Also the cerebral spinal fluid may not be able to saturate parts of the brain, and the pituitary gland will be compromised. Now since the head changes shape, so must the spine, and the muscles that were primarily used for range of motion, now have to make up for the slack of the skeletal system to hold the head up.
NCR directly manipulates the sphenoid bone thus affecting the structure and function of the entire cranial, skeletal, and neurological systems. NeuroCranial Restructuring can greatly aid in returning an injured person to full health!
Beauty and Symmetry: NCR Can Improve How You Look
Head and facial shape changes over time, due to age, gravity, injuries, stress, poor diet, and dental work. As this happens more asymmetries are noticed in the face, the skin begins to lose it's elasticity, and wrinkles appear in areas of least resistance.
By moving the cranial bones, NCR can:
1) Widen and create symmetry of the eyes
2) Lift the eyebrows
3) Restore and lift cheekbones
4) Straighten the nose and or elevate the nasal bridge
5) Soften fine lines and wrinkles
6) Pronounce the jawline, helping to tighten the skin of the neck.
7) Those with tighter, narrow heads will notice the benefits of more symmetry, widening of high narrow palettes, and increasing space for the teeth.
All this without invasive surgery, shots, or chemicals and with all the benefits of better posture, less pain, and mental clarity!
Children and NCR
NCR is not only for adults, actually newborns and children can greatly benefit. Birth is itself a natural trauma to the head, that in some children, can cause defects such as mishapen heads, breathing problems, sensory issues, behavioral dysfunction, and even pain.
Below is an example of the many children that suffer with headaches, as did Dr Hillary.
- May 9, 2006 -- Kids who have frequent migraines and other types of severe headaches are also more likely to have emotional, behavioral, and social problems, according to findings from the first-ever national study of headaches and mental health among children.
- Researchers with the CDC estimated that more than 3.7 million children in the U.S. (ages 4 to 17) have experienced frequent and severe headaches over the past year. Not surprisingly, children who have frequent headache pain are also more likely to report decreased quality of life.
- A survey showed that children with frequent severe headaches were 3.5 times more likely than other children to report emotional symptoms, including being worried, unhappy, nervous, and scared.They were 2.5 times more likely than children without frequent headaches to exhibit behavioral problems such as anger, fighting, lying, and cheating. And they were 2.6 times more likely to exhibit problems with hyperactivity and inattention.
- Strine, T.W. Pediatrics, May 2006; vol 116: pp 1728-1736
Don't wait to improve your childs life, do it now. Many adults with problems had them as children. NCR is safe for newborns and children.
Your continued NCR care is identical to your initial session. Changes are monitored during each session. On average we estimate that it takes between 4-6 sessions to obtain optimal results, but this can be less or more, varying on the patient and how long they have been experiencing dysfunction. Dr Lampers has the best and most permanent results with patients who get their NCR sessions 1-3 months apart.
There are some conditions that would be contraindicated for NCR therapy:
- Acute nasal or facial fractures - all fractures must be healed prior to treatment.
- Stitches in the nasal area
- Those with severe bleeding disorders such as hemophilia. even though it is very rare, sometimes there can be bleeding during the procedure.
- An adult patient who is agreeing to treatment only at the request of a significant other but does not fully understand why they are there. Dr Hillary will not treat someone who is not fully aware of why they are there and is only feeling pressured by another to do so.
- Those taking blood thinning medications like coumadin. Dr Hillary has worked on those who are taking these medications, but coumadin can decrease clotting time, so in case of bleeding, it will take longer to clot. Other blood thinners such as aspirin, high dose fish oils, etc should be discontinued for at least 2-3 days prior in case of bleeding.
- Those who have PTSD, severe anxiety, are very fearful, and/or afraid of change. NCR is an invasive therapy and can cause some slight discomfort. Dr Hillary is highly experienced at helping her patients through the treatment process and whatever arises. NCRis a great treatment for anxiety, but we encourage you to talk with Dr Hillary if you are experiencing the above conditions and want to pursue NCR therapy.
- Those with metal plates, pins, or implants in the face or skull. If plates or pins cross sutural lines it is unlikely that the patient will get global movement because the joint structure is compromised. Facial implants such as nasal bridge implants, cheekbone implants, front teeth bridges, etc should be taken into consideration and discussed with Dr Hillary. Even though she has treated patients with facial implants with great success, we encourage a phone consultation for patients with any of these concerns.